Scribie | Legit Freelance Transcription Job or Scam?
Working from home can save you a lot of time, money, and energy. Working from home can also give you a piece of mind. However, getting at-home online jobs can be a bit challenging. There are numerous websites that claim to offer remote work opportunities. Some are legit, while some others are either scams or pay too little.
With that all being said, making money on the internet can feel like a Gamble. As a matter of fact, it is a Gamble. But with our help and guidance, finding the right opportunity won’t be. Here, we have a freelance transcription job site, that goes by the name Scribie.
Scribie claims to pay it’s community of writers for completing transcription tasks. These jobs entail converting speeches into written text. You are reading this Scribie review because you want to find out whether you can really make money typing online as a Scribie transcriber.
Well, you have come to the right place. At LegitWorkOnlineForReal, we are committed to helping online job seekers like you, find legitimate opportunities onli e, while also assisting you in avoiding those evil online scams. We intend to give an you an honest and unbiased review on this online transcription website. That means bringing you the good news and bad news concerning Scribie. We will cover the following areas:
- When was it started?
- What is Scribie all about?
- What does it cost to join Scribie?
- Scribie Application Process
- How much money can you make with Scribie?
- What we liked about the website
- Good vs. bad qualities
- What internet users are saying about Scribie
When Was It Started?
Scribie was founded in 2008 by Rajiv Poddar, as a transcription service company headquartered in San Francisco, California. Rajiv’s idea to create the company came after spotting a problem in the transcription industry.
He realized that companies were finding it challenging to get high-quality transcripts, the same way that transcribers were finding it difficult to find jobs. Therefore, Scribie is a platform that seeks to bring job holders and top talents in the transcription sector to work together under one roof.
What is Scribie All About?
As a Scribie transcriber, you will be tasked with listening to audio or video files and typing what you hear in the website’s on-site word processor. A majority of the audio files on the site are normally under six minutes.
Each task comes with a set of instructions that you must follow to meet the quality requirements set by the client. You will also have to meet a 2-hour turn-around time.
After you are done transcribing, your final copy will be reviewed by Scribie’s reviewers before being passed on to the client. You will then get paid per audio hour, once the client has approved your work.
What Does It Cost to Join and Work at Scribie?
It is free to sign up and create an account as a Scribie transcriber. However, the site outlines several eligibility requirements that you must meet to join their community of freelance transcribers. These eligibility requirements are:
- Mastery of the English language
- Attention to detail. This is necessary to identify the slightest of mistakes in the automated transcript of the audio file
- A verified PayPal account
- Superb hearing ability to help decipher every word from the audio files
In addition to the requirements listed above, you will also have to invest in specific hardware and software resources to qualify. These additional requirements are:
- A laptop or personal computer
- A good pair of headphones
- A steady internet connection
- The latest versions of either Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge
Scribie Application Process
If you are wondering how you can apply to become a paid Scribie freelance transcriber, below is a step-by-step guide:
- Fill out and submit your application form. You will find this form within the website’s “Job” section. When filling out this form, you will have to provide your verified PayPal account information, among other personal details like your ID information.
- Confirm your email.
- Practice some patience as Scribie reviews your application. This might take one or two business days.
- Take the Scribie Test. You will only get to this step after passing your application. The test link is often sent via email.
- Get Scribie Certification. After passing the test, you will receive your certification, which means that you can start working on the client’s project’s.
How Much Money Can You Make with Scribie?
The amount of money you could earn with this website, will depend on your skill level. As your proficiency grows on Transcribe, you can advance your skills from transcriber to reviewer and proofreader, or a combination of all.
Scribie pays between $5 and $25 per audio hour. That translates to $0.5-$2.00 for each 6-minute audio file. You should note that they pay per audio file and not the actual time you spent working on the file.
The website pays it’s transcribers every day via PayPal. Scribie does not have a minimum or maximum withdrawal limit and you can cash out your earnings at any time you wish. It also takes 1-2 business days to reflect on your PayPal account.
What We Liked About Scribie
Scribie allows it’s freelancers to cash out at any time, without imposing withdrawal minimums or maximums. This is definitely a big plus for Scribie compared to other legit work at home job programs.
Their PayPal transactions are also pretty fast. Not instant, but waiting one day is better than waiting a week or even longer – which is the case with some programs.
Bonus and Promotion Offers
Scribie is popular for giving $5 bonuses for every 3 hours of audio you complete in a month. The bonus will be credited to your account every first of the month for the submissions completed the previous month.
The website also happens to have a referral program that can help you earn some extra money. This program works by offering a unique referral link and you earn commissions from clients and transcribers that join the website using your link.
Good vs. Bad Qualities
- Legit way to make money online
- An automatic transcript generator software that helps simplify your work
- Offers bonuses and promotions
- Fast and convenient payments
- You can attempt the application test up to ten times
- Free to join
- Offers a profitable referral program
- The pay is relatively low compared to ivy-league transcription sites
- No Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating
- Has too many reviewers scrutinizing your work can be tough
- Some audio files can be inaudible and hard to decipher
What Are Internet Users Saying About Scribie?
The best way to learn whether an online job is legit or not, is by reading reviews from freelancers who have already used it. User reviews paint a more realistic picture of what you should expect from the program. Below are some reviews from Scribie transcribers, which were left on GlassDoor:
Our Conclusion For Scribie
Scribie is a legit freelance transcription website that can help you earn an extra income online. It is free to join the website as a transcriber, provided you meet all the eligibility requirements. The website pays between $5 and $25 per audio hour via PayPal. If you are comfortable with the terms and pay, then Scribie might be worth your time and effort.
However, you should consider some of the complaints raised by other users before applying. If you feel that the value that Scribie offers for your time, does not amount to sufficient consideration, you can always check out other legit online jobs that we have reviewed.
Do you have any thoughts on or experience with Scribie? If so, please feel free to share your comments with us. Thank you and see you in our next review.
Were you looking for our top, legit work online recommendation instead?
Also, if you enjoyed reading and educating yourself with our “Scribie” review, please don’t limit yourself. Feel free to read and learn all about a different, legit online opportunity like:
And So Much More..